Monday, January 2, 2012

Monday Mural: Street Tattoo


This large mural celebrating the cultural diversity of Oakland is under the 980 freeway on San Pablo Avenue and 22nd St.  It was done in 1982 which makes it one of the oldest Oakland murals I've encountered.  Street Tattoo is the name given by the artists.  It's beautifully executed but in terrible shape due to long exposure to water runoff.  I've driven this street countless times and only today noticed it for the first time.  How is that possible?  For more murals, click here, here, and here.  I think a mural meme is in the works.  Would you participate?

9 comments:

  1. Nice mural with a interesting name. Even though my photographer eyes are always scanning, I'm still in the same as you for spotting things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This mural is simply MARVELOUS! It is so joyful and evocative. I'll be posting a lot of murals in the weeks to come that have seen much better days, and some of them are only a couple of years old. This one my have been protected from the elements, being under the freeway.

    (Mine is up, too, and I've linked to yours.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The girl and violin darn near looks like a photographic image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. what a site for a lovely mural.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, how IS that possible? This is a lovely and seemingly well painted mural.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because our perception is constrained by habit. This is gorgeous. Oakland seems to be a vast outdoor museum, but is there any effort to preserve the murals once they are completed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You aren't alone, Carolyn - «Louis» never had noticed it either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it seems I forgot to post a comment when I was first here - it is a mesmerizing image. I'm not sure if it is your post processing, or if this really is in a B&W tone? Thanks for linking to mine (I forgot to do the links, too!) I'll behave better next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny how it takes us a while to notice things we go by everyday - And yet I think we are observant people, probably says more about our busy lives than our lack of observations skills. And yes - I would take part in a mural meme should you be so inclined.

    ReplyDelete